Art to Outfit } Tieka of Selective Potential

Drawing by Me (Lauren Moyer)

This weekend I was overjoyed to be able to attend the Michigan Blogger Meetup organized by Tieka of Selective Potential and so in honor of that I am posting my third installment of Art to Outfit featuring some graphic design by Tieka. I was able to work in the field of graphic design at internships and part time jobs, and am very appreciative of the work that Graphic Designers, like Tieka, do. It is more of an unsung art in our society yet in the modern age it is seen daily by millions of viewers and consumers.

For those of you who don't know I started this feature a few months ago showcasing the artistic talent in the visual arts that many fashion bloggers have. Please check out my past interviews and now enjoy learning about Tieka's own artistic jouney.


What is your pen name?

I always wanted to be named Autumn because it's such a pretty word - but it's my favorite season and it's just such a gorgeous season and time of year. But to be honest, I'm so glad my name is Tieka now. I didn't enjoy it much as a kid, but now that I'm older and can appreciate it - it suits me so well.

When did you start putting a pencil to paper to create silly images?

Honestly? When I found out I needed to have large-scale drawings to get into my first choice art college. I know.. how could I be interested in going to art college without knowing how to draw? I love art, I love creating - but I'm just such a computer geek! Once I started drawing though, I loved it. It took me a while, but I truly enjoy it now.





Did a fairy godmother give you all your talent, or did you find a magical place that sharpened your mind? 


I definitely went to school for art and design - it's something I never wanted to do on the side. It's challenging having to be creative every day for your job, so it's so worth it - I want to wake up in the mornings and go to work! Art for a career is perfection.

Which artist do you think is dreamy?

Oh gosh, this is tough because I don't know what any artists ever look like. Let's go with Paul Rand in his grandpa years - I love grandpas. How could you resist that face?


What period of art would you set your time machine to?

Baroque. I took an 18th century art history class that I just loved - even though Baroque dates from 16th to early 18th - anywhere in there.





What artist would you go camping with and why?

Georgia O'Keefe. She really appreciated the beauty in nature. We'd stay in a tent - just one zip of a door away from the beauty of the outdoors!

How does your art affect your clothes, and visa-versa?

I definitely feel like my love for art affects my personal style. I think the two go hand-in-hand. In my own design and art, I'm very simple and I truly believe in usability (because I'm an interactive/graphic designer), so I'm very very much the same with style - simple with usability (I want to be able to walk in my shoots for longer than one block!)





Do you plan on wearing a beret daily and becoming a professional artist?

I don't plan on wearing a beret daily, but I am a full-time graphic designer! I can wear cute clothes - no worries about spilling paint. Maybe getting a few spray mount chemicals on my hands, but other than that - I'm glued to my Mac.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three pieces of yours would you take with you to decorate your mud hut?

I love my Vespa information graphic.



My dog paintings motion graphic film


And I'm super proud of the press kit I put together for Selective Potential


As an artist, do you get away with crazy fashion like wearing a swan dress?

No way. Even though I am artist, I am very simple.. and like I said before, I believe in usability - something the real world can relate to. As graphic designers, we have to be able to communicate to more than one type of person - I feel like my style must communicate not only to artists, but to others as well.

Make sure to check out Tieka's website http://www.tiekadierolf.com/
And of course her style blog http://selectivepotential.blogspot.com/ 



Huggles,
Lauren

All images (except first image) are property of Tieka Dierolf and used with permission.

7 comments:

Tieka, Selective Potential | February 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Thank you so much for the wonderful feature!! It looks amazing! xo

Unknown | February 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Lauren what a great interview! Loved the questions. :)

E | February 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I love her blog! I'm so glad you featured her!

Veronika Novotny | March 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM

I am loving this feature Lauren, you did an amazing job. And your illustration is so, so lovely! xx veronika

LyddieGal | March 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Tieka has such fun blog with great style, and I love your sketch, it's adorable!

Chic on the Cheap

Victoria / Justice Pirate | March 3, 2011 at 8:03 AM

I've heard of her for over a year but still never have gone to her website. haha. I don't know why. . I just haven't for some odd reason.

annogus | March 3, 2011 at 8:17 AM

what a cool feature! diggin it, Lauren.

anna
http://sparkplugminuet.tumblr.com