Where in Ohio: Germantown

So now that I'm spending the month in my home state, I want to try to showcase the places that are dear and important to me before I head off west. All these Ohio posts will be photo heavy so bear with me!

Germantown Ohio is south of Dayton right off the Great Miami River. It was founded in 1804, and actually long past relatives of mine were one of the families that helped start the city. The Moyers have a long history in Germantown, even my Grandpa was Mayor!





So I started my Germantown day at the old covered bridge. I love driving around in the country looking at these beautiful relics of the past. Covered bridges are very much a thing of the midwest. I don't know if they are common elsewhere.





Afterwards I headed through downtown and passed my family's house. I know my grandpa and dad grew up there and my aunt owns it now, but I don't know how far it goes in my family. The alley behind it used to be a canal that dumped into the Ohio-Erie canal. I think (I'm sure my dad will correct this post, haha).





Then I made it to the Germantown dam. I went to the valley overlook but alas it's all overgrown and you can't see very far. It was great to be around hills again... silly flat Michigan! The entire drive I sure felt like I was home, cornfields surrounding me, hilly two lane roads, and of course getting tuck behind a truck filled with hay!







And last I stopped by Moyer Cemetery. I'm not sure which ones are directly related to me but it sure is nice having an old family cemetery that happens to be off of Moyer Road, haha! There was a cop parked outside waiting for speeders and I had a friendly conversation with him about it being my family's cemetery, then he asked "You have family from around here?" I laughed at myself considering why would we have a cemetery here if we weren't from Germantown. Oh well, he was nice and didn't mind me frolicking around among the headstones.





I'm very proud that I have such a rich heritage just 20 minutes from where I was born. It makes me very proud of the area that I grew up in and was surrounded by my entire childhood.

Huggles,
Lauren

{ outfit details }
{ top - borrowed from Amber Blue Bird }{ skirt - ohio renaissance festival }{ shoes - nordstrom rack }{ belt - anthropologie }{ necklace, bracelets - forever21 }{ purse - urban outfitters }

7 comments:

Victoria / Justice Pirate | August 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM

I've never been to Ohio, but you make it seem like such an amazing and wonderful place to be in!! How cool!!! I love all these shots, and what a great skirt!

Melissa | August 16, 2011 at 7:31 AM

IVE BEEN ON THAT BRIDGE!!

BAH I can't believe we never met in real life, it's crazy how many similarities we have!! Love the pics, by the way, really nicely done.

Have fun in what we call "OH-10" :)

xxMelissa

jessie | August 16, 2011 at 8:35 AM

lauren, i'm so glad you're enjoying your time at home! i love that skirt, it's such a great color.

Amber | August 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM

man your family runs that town! Cute shirt :)

Ken | August 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I am curious about the bunting on the bridge. Is it decorated for some special occasion, or is it always like that?

Ken

Anonymous | August 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Amazing. One day you'll likely become interested in geneaology. How far do the headstones go back?

Sea Bird | August 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Love this post! The photos are great and I loved reading about all of the history of Germantown. Whenever I think of Ohio I think of flat cornfields, so it's interesting to learn that there are hilly parts. Usually if I'm in Ohio I'm just on the border by my grandma's house or on my way to Cedar Point, so I haven't really traveled too much around Ohio.