Where I've Been: Point Reyes

pointreyes1

Last week my buddy Mike's sister and friend were in town which gave me the opportunity to be annoying and beg to tag along on "touristy" travel. I haven't really gotten to be a tourist yet since I live with busy gals and I have not that much money. Of course it helped that I have a car and that allowed me to barter my way into their vacation... yep I'm that girl. So Tripp and I picked them up and headed towards Point Reyes National Seashore. The drive was a bit longer than we assumed and was filled with driving through small towns and winding around redwoods and cows. Finally we got to the shore and decided we had made it to Ireland. The hills were rolling and green, and the air was crisp and salty.

pointreyes2
pointreyes3
pointreyes5
pointreyes4
pointreyes6

The weather wasn't the best but we got there before the rain. It was windy, but the light was diffused and everything looked so beautiful. You could even see the Farallon Islands. We stopped at the lighthouse, since Mike said it was the best view and looked over the edge at the waves crashing against the rocks. There was this weird gunky stuff in the water which I of course decided it was whale vomit. Of course, why would it be anything else? The light house was down on the point and has hundreds of stairs... the warning sign said it was the same amount of stairs as a 30 story building. Did that deter us? No! We are young, we can get back up in no time...

pointreyes7
pointreyes8
pointreyes9
pointreyes10

The lighthouse itself was so cute. And was loud. Well they had the fog horn going cause you know, fog. The Lighthouse was built in 1870 and it is the windiest place on the Pacific coast and the second foggiest in the North American continent. Which I guess we were really lucky since the fog wasn't around nor did we fly off the cliff... whew! The lighthouse mechanics, housing and glass prisms were built in France, and they were so beautiful. The lens in the lighthouse is a "first order" Fresnel lens, the largest size of Fresnel lens. Augustin Jean Fresnel of France revolutionized optics theories with his new lens design in 1823. I've never really seen a lighthouse like this, it was much different then the Great Lake lighthouses. Everything was cast iron, and I can't imagine how they built it... took a lot of ox I recon. It took years to complete but was situated at a great location on the California coast.

Reading on the NPS website the light in the 1906 earthquake the point actually moved 18ft north in less than a minute, yet there was little damage to the building... talk about well made. They don't make light houses like they used to!... well they just don't make lighthouses anymore. wah wah :(

Then we had to walk up that 30 story flight of stairs.... so much for being young and in shape. Luckily they have little walk outs with benches along the way. So we stopped with the little old ladies to catch our breath.

pointreyes11
pointreyes12

So that was the lighthouse. I think I need a sponsorship from the National Park Service... I sure visit them a lot. I've always wanted to be a Park Ranger.

Huggles,
Lauren

8 comments:

Melissa | November 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM

WOW! Gorgeous pics. Looks like you're having a blast :)

xxMelissa

Unknown | November 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Love this report, you've really got an interesting & funny style of writing about touristy outings :-) Go park ranger! :-)

http://doriengoodtimesneverseemedsogood.blogspot.com/

Amber | November 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM

wow it really does look like Ireland (or at least what I think Ireland would look like).


Stop by & enter my Shabby Apple Giveaway!

Sea Bird | November 20, 2011 at 3:44 AM

These photos are gorgeous! What an awesome light house! I love the chipped red paint on the building.

Tess Malone | November 22, 2011 at 1:48 AM

It does look like Ireland! That is not what I expected part of the CA coast to look like. I guess your state is full of surprises, I really must visit sometime soon.

The one time I climbed up to the top of a lighthouse (the stairs are always treacherous, so don't worry about being "in shape" or not) was around Lake Superior and you're right- they definitely do not look like that! It's so beautiful.

blythe | November 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Hi Lauren! Beautiful photos!!

I wanted to invite you to join in the Dressember festivities again this year! Let me know if I can add you to the list of participants! ;)

xo,
blythe

www.blythehill.blogspot.com

Sara | November 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Wow, that is beautiful! You guys look so cold but happy :)

reckless daughter | November 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM

beautiful photos... wow!