Lonely Crafts: Vase Succulant Garden!



Don't let the title make you feel sorry for me. I think lonely crafts can be the best, cause it's better than sitting on your ass watching three hours of reality tv... Adding a craft to the viewing of that reality show make it's alright!

Last year when I was visiting good ole Ohio, my mom and I went on a mandatory flea/vintage/antique shopping spree! Cause you see, vintage on the west coast is maybe from the 70's and costs an arm and a leg. Ohio however, oh Ohio, your cheap prices and thrifting galore. Anywho, we went to the antique barn and I found this four piece set of white Roseville pottery. If you didn't know, which I'm sure you don't unless you're from Dayton, Roseville Pottery was a company started in Ohio in the late 19th cen, but is most famous for their art deco/art nouveau pottery and were part of the early 20th cen arts and crafts movement. I got four matching pieces from the magnolia collection in white... Which I've never seen! My mom and grandma both have Roseville and even my elementary school and highschool had Roseville drinking fountains and tile work.





So I got two small upright vases and a bowl vase with a flower frog. I've found uses for the two small urn like vases, but the bowl was a hard one. I did put fresh flowers in it a few times, but I could never get it to look good, floral arrangements are not my forte. So when one of my coworker's gave me a bag of succulent cuttings I was like "idea!" and decided to do a little succulent garden in the bowl. Using also some of my garden's succulent cuttings I made this nice little garden.

So here's what I did. First put tons of pebbles and rocks on the bottom evenly to help with drainage. Then I used Miracle grow cactus soil, you can also put some carbon between the two layers but I didn't have any sooo... that didn't happen. Then I packed soil into the flower frog which will be in the center of the garden. Then carefully I took clippings, some with roots and some non rooted and put them all over. I also saved a couple plants from dying pots like my cactus. I didn't fill everything in cause hopefully the ground covering succulents will fill it in. And I used a couple plants that needed some love, so it isn't totally gorgeous looking now but hopefully won't die and become more beautiful!







I'm so happy that this bowl vase now is more attention seeking. And doesn't is look great on my Andre Bus Acclaim end table?! I just recently got that table to go with two other Acclaim pieces I own. I definitely need to fill you guys in on my decorating of our apartment!! It's coming together so well, the music/dining room is almost done, and the living room is pretty much done with lot's of plants that I've kept alive now for 7 months! Yay! I just really want to turn into a crazy plant lady! We've also planted a veggie garden in the back, and have a whole entertainment and eating area in the backyard.

Anyhoodles let's see if I can keep up with blogging!
-Lauren

0 comments: