I think I can, I know I can.





Once there was a Naiad nymph of the river Peneios in Thessalia or the Ladon of Arkadia. Her name was Daphne and she was loved by many. All of which she rejected, including the god Apollo. He chased her through the woods until she prayed to the earth to save her. As she was pursued she transformed into a laurel tree, but in the tree her beauty still persisted. With the loss of his love, Apollo became the laurel bearer and his sacred laurel became the crown for victors.





Now why am I going on about Greek Mythology? Other than it being a huge obsession of mine I actually have a point. Last night I read Meg's post about being empowered by remembering what you have done for yourself and being the goddess that you are. So I reminisced about my name. My name is derived from the Laurel and my goddess is Daphne. I always read and loved the stories of the naiad nymphs and the nereids. And started to recall some of the great things I've done in my life and remember that I am a goddess as Meg put it.




I forget many times everything that I have done. In high school I worked at McDonalds to save money to go live in Brasil, and with the support from my parents I did. I didn't go through an exchange program, I just went and found a school. I did it on my own. I also backpacked around Japan with my father right after being in the hospital for weeks with organ failure due to an appendicitis. I decided after Brasil I wanted to pursue the arts and moved the Detroit, where I knew nobody and had never been. I lived within the city for four years experiencing the ups and downs of that crazy city,  graduating with honors and a custom rug design being shown throughout the city, shows at the Society of Illustrators and Gallery 1988 in SF/LA. I have since had a solo show, a two person show, and shown in more states and sold art internationally.

I am now working a full time job in the arts as a Gallery Director, and even though it is really tough to be in an under appreciated industry I'm happy. I didn't enjoy my graphic design jobs before and really feel that I have found my niche in the gallery scene.

I'm now engaged to one of the most talented designers I know. Kevin can draw anything, well people aren't his strong point but they are mine. We are planning a really cool wedding that I think will suit us wonderfully. I haven't lived at my parents since high school, I have been able, with help, support myself in a city with the highest unemployment. I have been able to travel adding onto my traveled state count bringing it to 45 out of 50 states traveled. I had the opportunity to live in Alaska with my cousin, and I did so with no car. Just biked everywhere, and met one of my greatest friends Ashley. And through all of this I have kept myself out of crazy debt.

And this blog I started for fun is still fun. Even though I started it to help build my self esteem and a professional/artsy wardrobe I have found a best friend through it. I am forever grateful for Sara. No matter what this blog brings or what it doesn't I can't forget that.



I am empowered that in my 25 years I've traveled to different continents, learned new languages, and met tons of interesting people. But my problem is I can't stop now. I want more. So yes Meg, we are all Goddesses. We can do anything that we want. There is nothing holding you back. I need to remember that I can do it, I can show in more galleries, I can start my stationary company, and if I want I can go back to school.





{ 30x30 Materials Used }


Dress } Vintage, from antique shop (wore the matching vest yesterday)
Blouse } Vintage, from Lost & Found
Cardigan } Incognito
Shoes } UO, on sale
--added--
Headband } UO
Fur Collar } Vintage, from antique store
Tights } HUE, via Kohls
Bracelet } F21
"Belt" } from a present

Huggles,
Lauren

12 comments:

Meg! | February 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I love that you actually brought it back to a real goddess, your namesake! You look like a goddess, too.

And girl, you have accomplished so much! I'm WAY impressed. Supporting yourself essentially through what you love is so amazing, as in, you are kind of my personal hero right now. If I could one day support myself writing novels I would just die of bliss.

I'm glad I inspired you, because now you've inspired me. :) <3

TrophyBoutique | February 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Hooray! I love this post! We all need to embrace our inner and outer goddesses sometimes. Wait all the time! I sound like a bumper sticker but I don't care!

Love the red belt--it pulls it all together.

Victoria / Justice Pirate | February 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM

aww your hair looks so cute here. I used to do that to one of my friend's hair all the time.

I used to be so so so into Greek mythology. It is so interesting to learn about. Your outfit is very Greek Mythology inspired!! I see it!! Great job on recreating all these awesome looks.

Gallery Director seems like a very hard but very fun and good job to have!

Amber Blue Bird | February 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

i cant believe you ever questioned your ability, this was a joy to read. You've accomplished more in your 25 years than some people twice your age. keep on truckin :)

Midwest Mayhem | February 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Great post, I had so much fun reading this! Kudos to you and all of your accomplishments! You are such a talented individual.

Nicole, Coco Maria | February 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

This is such a wonderful, wonderful post, and exactly the sort of inspiring story I need to hear right now. I think it's important to look back and appreciate how much you've done, and you should be VERY proud of yourself that you've done so many amazing things!

Mitzi | February 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Wow, you're amazing! What an inspirational story, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm working on getting my post-B.A. plans assembled, hoping to pursue my dream of fashion design! Congratulations on your many accomplishments, you are a goddess!
Also, I love your gray boots ;)
M xo

She is Sara | February 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!

I think that you definitely look the part missy. I love these posts that you guys are doing, I think that I might have to follow-up as well ;)

Love you lady!!!

Katie, Tinda Keelie | February 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Oh Lauren, I don't even know how to tell you how much I loved this post!

Loved loved loved! It was so full of girl power!

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark | February 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM

THis is such a wonderful post, I love the outfit, the inspiration behind it, the art. Its wonderful. I'm really glad I came across your blog!

Terri | February 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Lauren--I had no idea that you'd traveled so widely. You've been more places than I and I am twice your age. Keep thinking like a goddess. Admiring the 'laurel wreath'

Nicole | February 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Lauren, what a great post!! I love your "I can do anything" attitude, and think more people should have it. I've known way too many people who whine about how life sucks... I wish I could tell them to shut up and do something about it (but I'm not one to ruffle feathers ;) I think I try to have the same attitude, but it's good to remind yourself how awesome life is and how strong you are!

~Nicole