To Blog or Not to Blog

Well this is it, 200 posts on this here blog. Originally this was meant to be a personal blog for Kevin and I, and by originally I mean like 2 years ago. But it never took a footing. I actually first got this name, sparrow & urchin and the domain for it for a school project in 2007. I made little dolls of urchin children being attacked by sparrows inspired by a newspaper article in the NY Times in 1886.

You can see my girl Urchin doll beside a little painting. (more of my art on my art blog > http://laurenmoyer.blogspot.com)

And I felt after that it suited me and kevin. See I'm the Urchin, I've been homeless and moved around, and can be kinda sharp, and kevin can sing and is pretty happy where he's at. It also incorporated both of our loves, birds and ocean life.

Around the fall last year I was having one of the worst times in my life, I didn't know where my future was or who was going to be in it. I've always loved street style looks and fashion illustration so on my long days of nothing (worked very very part time, and for the first time lived somewhat alone and on peoples couches) and trying not feel sorry for myself I putzed around the internet where I found Weardrobe and Jessica's blog, What I Wore. It gave me an escape and helped me find myself in my clothes. I know you should find yourself in ways not using consumerism, but sometimes when you are so lost small things can save you and make you feel better. I've always like wearing pretty clothes and vintage things but never really had the courage to wear what I wanted. I was too afraid of people thinking I was weird for wearing dresses all the time and what not, here in the midwest people DO NOT wear heels or dress nicely (often). So as I explored more blogs I decided to start taking care of myself in the realm of what I wore and how I visually portrayed myself. I felt that if I started feeling better with how I looked it would in turn help me mend myself inside. It did, it gave me the courage to apply for a really good job, and I dressed for success. Unfortunately I didn't get it but a couple weeks later Tim, my boss, called me up and offered me the job as Gallery Director. And it couldn't have been better.

Now it's January 2010 and I decide I'm going to try this take a picture of your clothes thing and made a weardrobe account. I felt I needed to really explore myself in my new fulltime job (and my other part time job). I didn't really start this blog until March/Easter time and I put a full back posts up and deleted all the old posts from years ago. So here I am at 200 posts and I will say a year in blogging come March.


February of 2010

What have I learned?

I know that I personally do feel better about myself with the help of wearing clothes that I enjoy but I still am not quite there internally. Which I think is fine. Everyone has hard times. Sometimes I get annoyed with the blogger-dom and I know even though I'm making more money then I ever have my wallet has gotten punched a few times by this blog. But I don't regret it.

I've met amazing people and have a best friend because of this blog. If I didn't start this blog I would have never met Sara and I would have something missing from my life. She is my best friend and confidant and will be one of my bridesmaids. And Cat has been amazing even though we don't see eachother often. And meeting Katie, and Maria was amazing. I've made online friends, even though I don't have as much time as I'd like to get to know them, I still feel like they are a part of my life and I theirs, I'm talking to you Ebony, Chloe, Alyson, Paige, Meg, Caitlin, Victoria, Stephanie, and Tess and everyone else!

But really, I do appreciate who reads this little blog about what I wear to work and sometimes for fun. Thank you so much, you've helped a little sad artist, become a not so sad, adult artist. It means the world to me seeing people out there who care about even if they've never met me. It shows the humanity that people have. And for me recently graduating and many of my college friends moving on, it's a wonderful new base of friends that I have common interests with.

So yeah, here are some of my favorite times from the pas 200 posts. and some other of my favorite things.


Holland, MI Tulip Festival. May


First time with Kevin behind the camera! May


Me starting to try with pictures. May


Sara and mine second time hanging out. May


I was featured on Chictopia's front page and their twitter. June


First time meeting up with Cat, Katie, and Maria. June


I feature my gallery. June.


Sara and I swap clothes! July.

100th Post. August


Getting engaged in Central Park. Oct.

I've had a lot of fun for 200 posts.

Huggles,
Lauren

9 comments:

Wangari M. | December 23, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Congrats on your 200th post. I really enjoy stopping by your blog each day to see what you wear and hear about your life. I can relate with your blog giving you more confidence in wearing what you like and helping you be more confident and move forward. Mine has definitely done that, and so has "meeting" such lovely girls like yourself. I look forward to seeing how you, your style and blog develop.

xx


ps. Happy Holidays!

La Historiadora de Moda | December 23, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Congratulations on reaching this milestone! I hope your blog continues to give you confidence and helps you to hone your style!

CAITLIN | December 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Aw, yay 200 posts! I think style blogging really is about more than consumerism, and although it's easy to get discouraged with yourself for spending money on superficial things like clothes when life is about so much more than that, I do think that taking pride in your personal expression (be it clothes, art, music, whathaveyou) and reaching out to people who share the same interests can never be wrong. I love your blog because it's so obvious that you're more than what you wear--some bloggers are clearly just trend chasers, but you are a true artist and you seem like a genuinely wonderful person.

Keep it up! Sometimes it is the little things that brighten our daily lives.

Amber Blue Bird | December 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM

congrats and cheers on 200! I really do each reading your blog and seeing what you are wearing, your outfits are always creative. I hope you continue on with your blog for another 200 :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate | December 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM

aww. I'm so glad you've gone from that sad artist to this happy artist. I'm sorry you had a really hard time in the past but it is great that you have been able to improve your life within the year! You are a wonderful lady and I love your style and your art is great!! I appreciate you too!! It is so wonderful that you were able to meet Sara through blogging and be able to have such a close friend!! Lovely review of the year entry!

Meg! | December 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM

This whole post made me happy. I'm so happy to have met you in the blogosphere, Lauren. I love reading your blog every time there's a new post, and I can't wait to see what your next 200 posts bring! However cheesy that sounds, I DON'T CARE, you are awesome and you are one of the coolest bloggers I know. So have a merry Christmas, and here is some internet love for you. <3!! :D

stephanieesstar | December 25, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Aw, I totally understand what you're talking about--feeling lost and trying so hard to find something that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. I struggle with this fairly often! I feel like I should be more grown-up, like I should be at the point in my life where a lot of others are--but then I have to remember that just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean I have to...if that makes any sense!

Anyway, I'm glad you started this little blog and that I stumbled upon it!! Take care sweets!

She is Sara | December 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

This was so awesome to read, Lauren you are an amazing friend and blogger and I know we both have giant spaz attacks all the time but I am so thankful to have you in my life. Congrats on 200!! and I can't wait to see you next week so i can give you your prezzie!

*Trunk show Tuesday?? :D

xoxoxxoxx
~Sara

Terri | December 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Lauren--I had not known ANY of this history about your blog...I just stumbled across it and liked your "artist's" sensibility. Keep it up!